Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Birth Abroad

Special notice: If you plan to travel to the United States with your child in the next four weeks, email with “Emergency Travel” in the subject line and include the full name and date of birth of your child (or children), the scheduled itinerary, and a phone number; an Embassy employee may be able to schedule expedited service. Prepare all documents as described in the instructions included below. 

* * * * * * *

Because of the important rights and privileges of all U.S. citizens (as well as unexpected travel needs), the U.S. Embassy strongly recommends that you establish your children’s citizenship and apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) as soon as possible after the birth of your child.

Read all information on this page to understand the application process, including preparing documents for the interview and making an appointment.  If you do not bring required documentation, the U.S. Embassy may cancel your interview and require you to schedule another appointment.

* * * * * * *

This page is designed for parents who are applying for only a CRBA or both a CRBA and a U.S. passport for a child under 18. The following links apply to other CRBA categories:

Are you 18 or older and never established U.S. citizenship? Click here.

Have you lost your child’s CRBA? Click here.

Does your child’s CRBA have an error? Click here.

* * * * * * *

U.S. Citizenship Eligibility

A U.S. citizen mother may transmit U.S. citizenship to children with whom she has a genetic or gestational relationship. A U.S. citizen father may transmit U.S. citizenship to children with whom he has a genetic relationship. (Depending on the circumstances of your case, the Embassy may request medical records in addition to the child’s birth certificate.) 

U.S. parents must meet physical presence/residency requirements to transmit citizenship; we recommend reviewing those requirements prior to your appointment at U.S. Embassy Tel Aviv. If a U.S. citizen parent does not meet transmission requirements, review transmission requirements via a U.S. citizen grandparent

Application for a CRBA, U.S. Passport, and Social Security Number

Whether you are applying for one or all of these documents, download, print, and complete the attached CRBA Checklist.  During your interview at the Embassy, you will be asked to present this CRBA Checklist, as well as fees, forms, and supporting evidence. 

Book an Appointment

Gathering and completing all required documentation on the CRBA Checklist may take time. The U.S. Embassy recommends collecting your documentation before scheduling an appointment for an in-person interview.

Reminder: On the day of your appointment, please arrive at the Embassy at least 30 minutes before your appointment time (be sure to review our security procedures before your visit).  If you are late to your appointment, you may be required to schedule another appointment.

U.S. Embassy Tel Aviv has an online appointment system for CRBA applications. 

Avoid common mistakes:

1) Select "Report the birth abroad of a child of a U.S. citizen and/or apply for the child’s first passport, Report of Birth and Social Security Number" in the appointment system.

2) Make one (and only one) appointment for each child. A large family’s children may be scheduled on the same date as long as each child has his/her own slot and a confirmation of an individual appointment.

3) The appointment website generates a password that permits you to change or cancel appointments. The program does not permit users to retrieve lost passwords, so please make a note of your password. (As there are many people seeking appointments, we ask you to cancel your appointment if you will be unable to come to the Embassy.)

4) Make sure you provide an accurate e-mail address and contact number. 

5) Print your appointment confirmation. 

Schedule appointments in Tel Aviv.

Schedule appointments in Jerusalem.

Schedule appointments in Haifa.


Commonly Asked Questions

1)   How long will I have to wait for the CRBA?

The U.S. Embassy electronically transmits CRBAs and U.S. passport applications to a production facility in the United States. The facility mails the documents to U.S. Embassy Tel Aviv. Therefore, processing times can vary throughout the year.  At peak times (e.g., summer, December), you may receive your documentation four weeks after your interview.  Please plan your travels accordingly.

2)   Can my child travel to the United States while waiting for the CRBA and U.S. passport?

Unfortunately, no. Your child needs to be able to present a U.S. passport to enter the United States.

* * * * * * *

Like us on Facebook and receive updates about passports, travel, and other U.S. citizen services. 

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.

Your Visit to Citizen Services

  • IMPORTANT: Please watch this video before you come in for your appointment with American Citizen services .