Common passport categories:
- 16 or older, replacing 10-year passport that was issued less than 15 years ago
- 16 or older, replacing 10-year passport that was issued more than 15 years ago
- 16 or older, replacing 5-year passport
- 16 or older, first passport
- Under 16, replacing 5-year passport
- Under 16, first passport
Special passport categories, all ages
- Replacing lost/stolen passport
- Replacing damaged passport
- Replacing passport valid for 1 year or less
- New passport will reflect name change (e.g. due to marriage, divorce)
- Replacing passport printed with error (e.g., misspelled name)
- Add pages to valid passport
- New/replacing second passport for frequent travelers
- Emergency passport for immediate travel
* * * * *
How long will I have to wait for the passport?
Passports are printed in the United States and mailed to U.S. Embassy Tel Aviv. Therefore, processing times can vary throughout the year. At peak times (e.g., summer, late December), you may receive your passport up to four weeks after your interview. Plan ahead!
Can I renew my passport before the expiration date?
Yes. You may renew your passport at any time.
Does my U.S. passport need to be valid for 6 months in order to travel?
You may travel on direct flights to and from Israel and the United States within the validity date displayed on the passport. The “6-months rule” refers to most other countries that require 6 months validity to transfer through their airports. Review Consular Information Sheets for each country’s entry requirements.
I will be traveling in North America (e.g., Canada, Mexico). I heard the U.S. government has new rules for those countries. Any tips?
Review Consular Information Sheets for each country’s entry requirements prior to your travel.
Where can I get updates about new policies affecting passports, travel, and other services for U.S. citizens?
Like us on Facebook and receive updates and other information.