Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Treaty Trader (E1) and Treaty Investor (E2)

Visas for Treaty Traders (E-1) and Investors (E-2)

Investor visa for Israeli nationals 

President Obama signed the legislation that would add Israel to the list of countries eligible for non-immigrant investor visas in the United States. The legislation, which was spearheaded by Rep. Howard Berman (D-Calif.), would grant Israelis E-2 investor visas, allowing them to live and work in the U.S. in order to be closer to their investments.  However, the implementation of this visa category will not be effective until the terms and conditions of the final agreement are determined between the two countries.   The Embassy will issue a press release as soon as the E2 investor visa is available to Israeli nationals. 

In General 

Section 101(a)(15)(E) of the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act provides for visa status for nationals of countries that maintain an appropriate treaty of commerce and navigation with the United States or that is considered to be a treaty country under U.S. law. 

The following information describes the two types of non-immigrant visas for individuals wishing to trade with or invest in the U.S.

1.Treaty Trader visa (E-1)

2.Treaty Investor visa (E-2)  

Please note that the Treaty of Friendship, Commerce, and Navigation between the United States and Israel provides for the issuance of treaty trader visas (E-1) only; Israeli citizens are not eligible for treaty investor visas (E-2). However, our post does accept applications submitted on behalf of Israelis who hold dual citizenship with countries that maintain a treaty investor with the United States.

A treaty trader/investor visa is not a substitute for an immigrant visa. Individuals wishing to remain in the United States indefinitely should apply for immigrant visas. Treaty investor/trader visas can be renewed or extended only if the investment or trade continues to meet all applicable requirements of U.S. immigration laws and regulations. 

Treaty Trader visa (E-1)

Treaty Trader (E-1) visas are authorized based on a treaty of commerce between the United States and Israel which was signed upon in April 1954. This status is entitled for individuals intending to go to the United States to carry on substantial trade, including trade in services or technology, principally between the United States and the treaty country. 

Individuals applying for E visas at the American Embassy in Israel must be a national or a resident of Israel. The U.S. has also concluded treaties of commerce with several other countries; therefore if you are not an Israeli national please refer to the website of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country.

To qualify as a Treaty Trader (E-1): 

  • At least 50% of the business (parent company) is Israeli owned, i.e., at least 50% of the company stock is owned by Israeli citizens. Local permanent resident aliens or American citizens do not qualify as majority holders of US companies for E visa purposes.  
  • The applicant must be a national of the treaty country.  
  • At the time of the E-1 application a commercial, traceable and identifiable flow of goods, services and /or technology exists between the Israeli company and the U.S. (i.e., title of the trade items must pass from one party to the other, trade includes successfully negotiated contracts).  
  • The flow of goods is substantial and continuous.
  • At least 50% of the firm's international trade is between Israel and the U.S.  
  • The applicant must be employed in a supervisory or executive capacity, or possess highly specialized skills essential to the operation of the firm. Ordinary skilled or unskilled workers do not qualify.  

Treaty Investor Visa (E-2) 

The Treaty Investor visa is entitled for individuals intending to go to the United States to develop and direct the operations of an enterprise in which the national has invested; or is actively in the process of investing a substantial amount of capital. As mentioned above, Israeli citizens are currently not eligible for treaty investor visas (E-2).  

To qualify as a Treaty Investor (E-2):  

  • Requisite treaty exists;  
  • Individual and/or business possess the nationality of the treaty country and at least 50% of the business is owned by the treaty country, i.e., at least 50% of the company stock is owned by the treaty country, excluding/American citizens and U.S. Legal Permanent Residents ("green card" holders).  
  • Applicant has invested or is actively in the process of investing;  
  • Applicant's investment is substantial. It must be sufficient to ensure the successful operation of the enterprise;  
  • The enterprise is a real and operating commercial enterprise. Speculative or idle enterprises do not qualify;  
  • Investment is more than marginal, and is not solely for earning a living;  
  • The investor must be coming to the U.S. to develop and direct the enterprise. If applicants are not the principal investors, they must be employed as a supervisor, executive, or as the possessor of highly specialized skills.  

Application Procedure  

An applicant for a Treaty Trader (E-1) or Treaty Investor (E-2) visa must first establish that the trading enterprise or investment meets the requirements of the law as stated above. Therefore, all Israeli companies seeking E visas for their owners or employees must apply at the U.S. Embassy in Tel Aviv. 

How to apply for an E-1/E-2 visa:

If a company is about to register for the first time or if the company wishes to renew the registration, the company is required to submit their supporting documents, including an employee's individual application, by mail to our attention. To inquire whether the company has been registered or is still valid, please contact the E visa unit at:

Please click on the relevant treaty below for a list of required supporting documents: 

In the event the company/employer has been registered as an E1/E2 entity at the American Embassy in Tel Aviv OR you are a dependent (spouse or child under age 21) of a current E-visa holder, you should schedule an appointment through the regular appointment system at . Please click on the relevant link below for a list of required supporting documents:

Note that if you do schedule an appointment and arrive at the embassy but it appears that the company has not been registered/or is no longer valid, you will be turned around.

Important: Each file submitted to the E section must include an application on behalf of the employee the company is sending to the U.S. Once the E-1/E-2 assistant reviews the file and verifies that all of the documents have been submitted, he/she will schedule an appointment date for the company and its employee. All interviews are scheduled for a Tuesday.   

Application Forms  


Submitting an E file to the Embassy

All supporting documents must be mailed to the U.S. Embassy in Tel Aviv at the following address:

E1/E2 Visa Assistant
Embassy of the United States of America
Consular Section
71 Hayarkon Street
Tel Aviv 6343229

The company and applicant have the burden of demonstrating fulfillment of requirements for Treaty Trader/Investor status under 9 FAM 41.51. 

Company Processing Times 

Evaluation of corporate files will take between four and six weeks and are reviewed on a first come first served basis. These time scales are approximations only, processing may be longer or shorter depending on our workload and the quality of the material submitted. Note, irrevocable business plans and travel arrangements should not be made until visas are actually issued. 

Applications from persons who are resident in the consular district, but not physically present, will be accepted but a personal interview will be required after the initial screening of the application and supporting documents. No assurance is offered that an interview will necessarily lead to approval of the application and the issuance of a visa. 

Because the nature of the Treaty Trader and Investor visa is complex and specific to the particular application, we will not discuss prospective E-visa situations nor respond to speculative questions on E-visa situations over the telephone or by e-mail. Once an application has been submitted, we will communicate with the company's attorney/ point of contact as required on their particular case. 

Do not contact the Consulate for information on the status of your case. You will be contacted if more information is required or when the officer is ready to schedule your interview.

Family Members 

Spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21, regardless of nationality, who wish to accompany or join the principal visa holder in the United States for the duration of his/her stay require derivative E visas. If applying separately from the principal applicant, a copy of the principle applicant's E visa or the I-797 Approval Notice will be required in addition to the regular application documents. Spouses and/or children who do not intend to reside in the United States with the principal visa holder, but visit for vacations only, may be eligible to apply for visitor (B-2) visas, or if qualified, travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). Please click here to review the list of documents family members should submit.  

Please click here to find information for partners and common-law spouses

Receipt of the visa after issuance 

We would like to emphasize that if the consular officer approves an employee's E1 visa, the passport along with the visa shall be returned to the applicant via the Israeli post office. This procedure may take up to a week after the interview. As a result, please book your flight ticket accordingly. 

Working on an E Visa  

Spouses of E visa holders may seek employment authorization on derivative E visas. For further information, please contact the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) upon your arrival in the United States or visit their site at

Change of status by U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Service (USCIS)

It is necessary to establish the company's entitlement to E visa status prior to the issuance of an E visa to an investor or employee, even if the USCIS has authorized a Change of Status to E for a person in the United States. That status is valid only as long as the person remains in the United States. To obtain an E visa, a complete application, with all required documentation, must be submitted to the Embassy for adjudication before a visa can be issued.  

U.S. Port of Entry  

Applicants should be aware that a visa does not guarantee entry into the United States. The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (USCBP) have the authority to deny admission. Also, the period for which the bearer of a treaty trader or investor visa is authorized to remain in the United States is determined by the USCBP, not the consular officer. Those persons who wish to stay beyond the admission period should file Form I-539, with the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS). The decision to grant or deny a request for extension of stay is made solely by the USCIS.  

Time Limits  

Holders of E visas may reside in the United States as long as they continue to maintain their status with the enterprise. 

Important Notice: 

Prospective investors and E-visa applicants should always review regulatory requirements and seek professional advice from an immigration law attorney before submitting an application, if they feel that will help them organize their application and their business activities. At the same time, applicants should be aware that decisions about eligibility are made only by a Consul who reviews the application -- and then only after all of the information requested by the Consul has been received. Applicants should never rely on prospective business partners for immigration advice. 

Additional information is available on the internet at: Questions on visa application procedures should be made via e-mail to the Treaty Visa Office at the Questions on conditions and limitations on employment should be made to the local office of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services in the United States.

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.