Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Frequently Asked Questions

A broad overview of visas, including who requires a U.S. visa (e.g. dual nationals, Visa Waiver Program), can be found at our Visas home page. The Visa Information Service has a useful FAQ page about U.S. Embassy Tel Aviv’s application process and the U.S. Department of State has a general A to Z guide to visas and a Frequently Asked Questions page. Finally, you can email or call with your individual questions. 

For any questions relating to the DS-160 visa application form, click here

My passport containing a valid visa has expired. I've obtained a new passport; do I need a new visa?
If the passport in which your visa has been endorsed has expired, the visa in the old passport still can be used, provided that you also carry a valid passport of the same nationality. Note: If, when canceling your old passport, the passport authority has clipped the corners of the passport, and, in so doing, has damaged the visa in any way, that visa is no longer valid and cannot be used for travel to the United States.

My old visa says "Indefinite"; is it still valid?
An "indefinite" validity visa is no longer valid for travel to the United States. If you wish to travel for business or pleasure, you are either required to apply for a new B1B2 visa or travel under the Visa Waiver Program, if qualified.

Should my visa be valid for the length of my intended stay? How long can I stay in the United States?
You may travel to the United States at any time during the validity of the visa. In other words, a visa must be valid on the date of your arrival to the United States.  The officer at the port of entry will tell for how long you can remain in the United States. If, while you are in the United States, you find that you need to stay there longer than the period of time initially granted to you, you must contact the nearest office of the USCIS to apply for an extension of your stay.  Please note that if you were admitted under the visa waiver program, it is not possible to extend your stay.

I have a visa; do I also need a return ticket?
If you are traveling under the B1B2 visa for tourism or for a short business visit, you are required to hold a return or onward ticket. If you are traveling on a work or student visa, you may enter the United States on a one-way ticket.

When should I apply for a visa?
We recommend you submit your application as soon as you have travel plans since the waiting period for interview appointments might be longer than expected, especially during the summer or the holiday seasons.  In addition, some applicants are subject to additional administrative processing which require more processing time.

Where can I find information on the current wait time for interviews?
Wait times for visas are posted at: The times given on this site are current averages, and are subject to sharp seasonal fluctuations.  Processing wait time does not include the time required for additional processing or special requirements. In such cases, processing wait time will vary based on the individual circumstances of each application.

Does my child need a visa?
Yes. All Israeli citizens require a visa to visit the United States, regardless of age.  For application procedures for children under the age of 14, go to how do I apply. For children over the age of 14, please follow the regular visa application procedure.

I am traveling through the United States en route to another country. Do I still need a visa?
Yes. You must apply for a B1/B2 or transit visa.  

I am not an Israeli citizen. Can I apply for a visa in Israel?
Yes.  If you are a resident of Israel but hold a foreign passport, you can apply for a visa at the Embassy in Tel Aviv.  However, if you are not residing in Israel, it will be more difficult for a consular officer to determine your eligibility.  In the latter case, we suggest you apply in the country where you currently reside.

What constitutes a group and how can a group interview be scheduled?
Groups of 5 or more applicants traveling to the same location for the same purpose may qualify for a group appointment.  For further information on the group appointments, please review the information on the Visa Information Service website at

My application was refused under Section 214(b). I wish to appeal against the decision/ I would like my case reviewed?
A written explanation of the reasons why you were unable to establish your eligibility for a visa will have been handed to you on the day of the visa interview.  As your application has been refused under Section 214(b), there is no review process or appeal.  You can reapply for a visa at any time provided your circumstances have changed.  We recommend you wait at least for six months before you reapply.

My visa application was refused. Can I get a refund on my MRV fee?
The MRV fee is not refundable.   The fee must be paid in order to cover the expanses of your visa application regardless of whether you are issued a visa or not.

Where can I find additional information about visa denials?
Additional information on visa denials is available at:

Temporary workers have rights and protections while in the United States.  What are they?

I am going to an international meeting/conference sponsored by an international organization; do I require an A or G visa? 
If you intend to work for an international organization, you need a G4 Visa.  Please send a copy of the letter you received from the organization to