Information for Applicants with a Technical or Scientific Background
Visa applications for individuals who work or study scientific and technical fields may be subject to additional processing. This process, on average, requires three to four weeks to complete.
Applicants who present detailed information at the time of their interview help Embassy officials process their cases more expeditiously and efficiently. We suggest applicants prepare a document with the following detailed information, in English, for their interview:
- Applicant: Name and passport number
- Work Experience: Detailed description of current and past work;
- Specialized Skills: Possible examples include languages, computer training, research expertise, military service, work in defense industry, or other specialized training;
- Educational/Research Background: Name of institution(s), dates of attendance, field(s) of study, degree(s) obtained, and research topics;
- Publication List (as applicable): Titles, topics, dates of publication, and brief abstracts or summaries;
- Travel: Countries and years visited in the past 10 years;
- Trip itinerary: Date(s), location, and purpose of the visit and any relevant addresses, websites, and contact information (as applicable) of companies, conferences, and/or institutions.
Do you know any potential visa applicants who have scientific or technical backgrounds?? Feel free to share the following video, which explains U.S. Embassy’s additional processing requirements.